Georgia's most promising future superintendents are supported by the GSGA Foundation, through the James B. "Monty" Moncrief Scholarship Program. The Moncrief Scholarships honor deserving students in the field of agronomy and turf management at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (ABAC), the University of Georgia (UGA) and students who work and live in Georgia, but attend an accredited program outside of the state. The scholarship is named in memory of Moncrief, a former Southeastern Green Section Director for the United States Golf Association. This program is also supported by the Georgia Golf Course Superintendents Association.
Students are selected based on academic achievement, character and financial need. The application process includes an interview by a panel that includes representatives from the GSGA Foundation and the Georgia Golf Course Superintendents Association.
The program is in its 46th year and has granted scholarships to more than 300 Moncrief Scholars during that time. Seven students are receiving scholarships for the 2022-2023 school year totaling $21,000.
Applications for the 2023-24 school year will be accepted from January 1, 2023 through March 1, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
Moncrief Scholarship Application - NEW
Moncrief Scholarship Application - RENEWAL
Moncrief Scholarship Application Requirements
The following items are necessary before an application will be considered:
- Completed Moncrief Scholarship Program Application
- Essay describing your life experiences, why you should be considered for the Moncrief Scholarship and your goals in the study of turfgrass management in the golf industry
- Required academic information (see below)
- Letter of recommendation from a supervisor in the golf course maintenance department at a golf club or course. Letter must be signed and include a phone number and email
Required Academic Information:
For incoming freshmen:
- High school transcript of grades through first semester senior year *
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Testing (ACT) scores from high school
For current college freshmen:
- College transcript (showing a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5) *
For current college sophomores and juniors:
- College transcripts (showing a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0)
Deadline for the 2023-24 school year is 3:00 p.m. on March 1, 2023. All information must be received on or before the deadline to be considered for the full scholarship amount. All applications will be formally reviewed in the spring and you will be notified of a personal interview is necessary. Photographs are not allowed to be submitted with the application. All documents, including transcripts, should be opened and attached to the application. Applications must be submitted as one complete package.
* It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure the transcript is not password protected.