- Who is eligible for a Yates Scholarship?
Yates Scholarships are awarded to employees, or dependent of employees, of GSGA Member Clubs. These young people, or their parents, may be employed in any area of a club’s operation - golf operations, golf course maintenance or clubhouse. Financial need, academic achievement, club work experience and character are considered in the application and interview process for the candidates. Spouses are not eligible for the scholarship unless they are employed at a Member Club. The program is for incoming or current college students and non-traditional students.
- Who is eligible for the Moncrief Scholarship?
Moncrief Scholarships are awarded to students majoring in Turfgrass Management or Agronomy at the University of Georgia, Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College amd students who work and live in Georgia, but attend an accredited school outside of the state.
- What schools may I attend if I receive the Yates Scholarship?
In Georgia, if the school is eligible for the Hope Scholarship then it is eligible for the Yates Scholarship. Outside of Georgia, the school must be accredited.
- Is playing golf a prerequisite?
No. Golf is not considered in the Yates Scholarship process. These scholarships are considered an additional benefit of a club’s membership in the GSGA.
- Is the scholarship a one-year grant?
The scholarships are one-year grants. The scholarships are eligible for renewal up to a student’s fourth year of college. For the Yates Scholarship, the GSGA Member Club through which you received your eligibility must remain a GSGA Member Club.
- How many scholarships are awarded each year?
The number of scholarships awarded each year is determined by the Yates Scholarship Committee or the Moncrief Scholarship Committee and the GSGAF Board of Trustees.
- Does the Yates Scholarship Program or the Moncrief Scholarship Program help with the cost of higher level degrees?
The scholarship programs are available to those students pursuing their first bachelor degree.
- Can you apply for both the Yates and the Moncrief Scholarship?
Yes, you may apply for both. However, it is not possible to receive both during the same school year.
- Can GSGA Member Clubs have more than one Yates Scholar?
Yes, there is no limit to how many Yates Scholars a club can have each year.
- Are GSGA Member Clubs required to contribute?
No, the scholarship programs are a benefit of a club’s membership in the Georgia State Golf Association.